Sunday, June 19th 1921
The ceremony of unveiling and dedicating the War memorial in Watling Street took place on Sunday afternoon, June 19th, in the presence of a large number of inhabitants.
Viscount Hampden, the Lord Lieutenant of the county, unveiled the Memorial and it was dedicated by the Vicar who conducted the service.
The names of the fallen were read out by the Rev H Staines. A guard of honour was provided by the Aldenham School OTC, whose buglers sounded the “Last Post” and the “Reveille.” The Choir, Boy Scouts, Girls Guides and members of the Fire Brigade were drawn up round the site. The whole ceremony was simple and impressive and the committee are to be congratulated on the successful result of their work.
colourised from an original photograph: Graham Taylor
1918-2018, Radlett, 11am, Sunday 11th November 2018
The lone soldier signifies the Armistice Centenary in Radlett
The Parade prepares at Vision Hall, Watling Street
The crowd awaits the Ceremony in Watling Street, Radlett
The wreaths to the fallen in two World Wars are laid at the War Memorial
Fair Field School Choir sing and sign at Christ Church
The Beacon is lit at Church Field